In the history of Whistler based shred crews, one can’t forget about the infamous 8 Mile. From their Creekside shenanigans, to their 15-minutes of Olympic fame, we put ringleader Johnny Lyall to the test. Without futher ado, here’s the second installment of Who’s Your Crew?
1. Who’s in your crew? Mikey Rencz, Eero Niemela, Johnny Lyall, Benji Ritchie, Dustin Craven, Iikka Backstrom, Andrew Geeves, Kale Stephens, Jody Wachniak, Kevin Griffin, Logan Haubrich, Chris Dufficy, Todd Malus, Charles White, Paavo Tikkanen and Chris Brown.
2. How did you first get started? Eero Niemela, Mikey Rencz, and Johnny Lyall lived in a pile of a spot in Creekside beside the Husky. It was best known for after parties all the time and it’s open door policy. It was really small but all the homies were welcome for sleepovers anytime.
3. What’s with the name? Our place got called 8mile cause it was so ghetto… And it stuck
4. What’s your home mountain? Whistler
5. Best things about riding there? Pow, hit-runs and friends
6. Any standout park features? Hager hit
7. Best time of year to visit? Winter
8. Best place for eats and après in the area? The Savage Beagle… Just drinks.
9. Best local boardshop? The Circle
10. What’s your claim to fame? Good question. (You might remember Johnny Lyall as the snowboarder who jumped through the Olympic rings during the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. Check out the recap here).
11. Any plans for this season? Shred it up. Party. Some major laughs and an all around good time.
For more info visit: http://8milelife.com
Here’s 8 Mile’s latest feature film Vacay